Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fanboys DVD Review




Before I start I’m going to give a bit of a disclaimer. I usually take pictures of things or screen caps myself but due to some personal stuff I’ve got going on right now that I’d rather not get into I didn’t have a chance to do that since I watched it in a not so ideal location at a not so ideal time so I just gathered the pictures off of the net. Actually this is going to be a really speedy review without going into too much detail because I really don’t feel up to it.

The movie revolves around a group of friends (one that has kind of drifted away and ‘grown up’) who decide to take a road trip and storm George Lucas’ ranch to see Star Wars Episode I before it gets released. On the way to the Ranch there are plenty of cameos and a lot of inside jokes – that I probably would have understood a lot better if I was a fan of the Star Wars franchise but when they weren’t throwing in-jokes there still were a lot of things that kept it funny.

The casting was really good but that’s because I already love Kristen Bell and I’ve liked quite a few things that Christopher Marquette has been in and despite Superman: Returns and Cavemen Sam Huntington has really started to grow on me. I don’t know – I just liked the cast, even people I don’t normally like I liked, it was odd. I just wish Kristen had more screen time.

Even though I’m trying to make this a quick one I do need to talk about the epic journey that it took to even get this movie made. I did a bit of reading up on it and wow. It was pushed back almost two years, the studio cut in and tried to get them to edit out the cancer story line and once that didn’t test well they brought the original director back in and gave him like two days to re-cut the movie. I say they should have left well enough alone and kept all of the cancer storyline in because in the brief time they had to change it back it only allowed for two comments that could have been taken as the group lying to Eric to try to manipulate him into patching things up with Linus and then all of them lying to the cops to get out of jail. It doesn’t really sink in until Linus is in the hospital and Carrie Fisher’s cameo as a doctor that it hits you that he really is dying.

I didn’t have a chance to watch the audio commentary (which honestly I rarely ever do watch them) but the other special features are great. I loved the little documentary web series that they put on the dvd. But lets be honest here, the entire dvd is worth it if for nothing more than Sam’s MTV Cribs style tour of his onset trailer and then Kristen Bell rapping. Even if the movie was total crap (which it really wasn’t) the entire thing would have been worth it for those two episodes of the web series alone.

Rating: BUY
Special Features: WATCH
Overall Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment