Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cartoon Network announces Young Justice Animated Series!

From Cartoon Network's Official Press Release-

Young Justice:
In Young Justice, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over—to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? That’s exactly what the members of Young Justice—Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—will found out, whether they have what it takes to be a proven hero. This all-new series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon characters from DC Comics. Sam Register (Teen Titans, Ben 10, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) is the executive producer. Brandon Vietti (Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman Doomsday, The Batman) and Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, W.I.T.C.H.) are the producers.


Now Young Justice was possibly one of my favorite comics from DC Comics of the past decade give or take; so I'll be going into this series with ridiculously high expectations.  The comic series exposed me to the writing of Peter David which verges on brilliant so often it's scary.  So the only thing that could make this even better for me would be if he was brought into the fold to oversee it or even write the episodes.

The announced staff of producers for me personally is 50/50.  Brandon Vietti has produced several things I loved, but he also did Superman Doomsday.  Greg Weisman brought us Gargoyles which was fantastic, but Sam Register - well let's just say I'm not a fan of what he's produced.

I am looking forward to the show though.  I always loved Robin, Superboy and Impulse a lot more than their older counterparts.  My only major gripe with the cast comes with the females.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm not up on Wonder Woman canon but I do know who Artemis is and I think it is a major mistake for her to be 'de-aged' to be in the cast.  Especially when there's the fantastic character of Arrowette.  She was a big draw for the comic for me, plus she had her ties not only with Impulse (now Kid Flash) but through her mother ties with Green Arrow as well.  Another huge problem with including Artemis is that it makes it redundant to include Wonder Girl.  Cassie and Cissie were a great team and by putting in Artemis you lose not only two main characters but two great characters.

I'll save all my thoughts on Arrowette constantly getting the short end of the stick for other Young Justice posts - so lets move on.  They also omitted The Secret.  A 'ghost'ly character who Robin, Superboy and Impulse rescue from two Federal Agents who later turns out to have been murdered by her own brother in his quest for power.  Her entire plot line was about 70% of the Young Justice run so to exclude her would be like having a new Justice League cartoon without Superman or Wonder Woman, it's a little off and is bound to leave a sour taste in your mouth.  No Secret also means Feds - which means no Empress which means we're less likely to get any of the other fantastic characters that were introduced later in the series. Red Tornado is also missing which is a major problem - there is no 'adult' in these kids lives, and his presence was the only reason the Justice League allowed Young Justice to remain formed.

I'll still remain open to this series, but I really don't want it to end up like Teen Titans which I couldn't even watch it bothered me so much, or Batman: The Brave & the Bold which lets call a spade a spade here - that tv show exists just to justify the toys that are in stores now.  I want the outlandish plot lines, I want Peter David's humor which gave us spoofs like Wendy The Werewolf Stalker, I want the core SIX to be onscreen not Robin, Superboy, Kid Flash (I want Bart to be crazy, and weird like he was when he was Impulse) Aqualad, Miss Martian and a mash up of Wonder Girl/Arrowette.

No comments:

Post a Comment